Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Just Now Getting My Head Above Water



Whew! What happened to the time? Here I was kinda leisurely creeping up to the holidays, all the while posting things on my website; http://www.therobinandsparrow.etsy.com/ , and all of a sudden the Christmas crunch hit! Etsy had featured my spoon ornaments in one of their gift guides and I was swamped with order requests. The problem? I really didn't have the supplies gathered from my vintage sources to meet the demand, so I made the few sets I could, and decided to be better prepared for the next Christmas season, way ahead of time, like "summer" way ahead! Here are a few pics of some of the items I sold. Peruse and enjoy and then ...

scroll down to the bottom to see the very best part of Christmas this year...




The above crystals were from a vintage store here in Portland called Hippo Hardware .  I searched through bins for hours and found just the right ones that were not chipped and had flat backs so I could adhere vintage ephemera to the back.




So the best part of Christmas this year was having my two college kids home from school, waking up and taking the "Christmas Morning Bedhead" picture, getting new socks, snuggies, etc, kissing my husband of 23 years and going to church to celebrate...now that was a truly blessed Christmas.



1 comment:

.Manna j said...

Hi, I am writing to say how much I absolutely LOVE your vintage crystals with the cool paper glued onto the back of them. They look fantastic and I'd love to make some myself. I would buy them from you but I live in Melbourne, Australia and I don't think you deliver to Australia, do you? So I'm wondering what you use to attach the paper to the crystals? I was thinking of using Epoxy Resin as the glue because I use resin a lot in my jewellery making with bezels, paper images and resin. I love Ice Resin by Susan Lenart Kazmer and I also use her vintage paper and her paper sealant. You just coat the paper with the sealant on both sides, let it dry, and then place the paper in the bezel before mixing and pouring in the resin. Do you think that resin would work with the sort of crystals that you use?? I don't know where to buy second hand chandelier crystals but I can get new ones from a company here in Melbourne, and they look the same! Thank you for all the inspiration, love from Amanda Jones in Australia xox